Where were you in ’89?

14 Aug

On August 14th? I was…I was in Tempe, AZ, glued to the television while Voyager flew by Neptune.

Hard to believe that was twenty years ago!

10 Responses to “Where were you in ’89?”

1. superplin August 15, 2009 at 2:32 am #

Uh. I was sitting around sweating in my in-laws’ apartment in Italy, wishing we could afford a vacation, looking forward to my first wedding anniversary just over a month away. And, I’m pretty sure, entirely unaware of the Voyager, not a thought spared for Neptune.

2. neshaffer August 15, 2009 at 2:43 am #

And why should have? If I’d had a life at a time, I probably would have skipped that half-gallon of ice cream I was eating while watching the Neptune fly-by.

3. superplin August 15, 2009 at 2:45 am #

Well, from a big-picture perspective, it would have been better to have some awareness of what was going on in the world at large… (or the universe, I guess).

4. cornerofmadness August 15, 2009 at 2:56 am #

very hard to believe
    and I had just gotten to Cleveland to begin medical school

5. neshaffer August 15, 2009 at 2:59 am #

I just thought it was kinda cool.
    Awareness of the world around you is overrated.

6. neshaffer August 15, 2009 at 3:00 am #

It was my first year of my Master’s program. The latest one, anyway.
    ; D

7. midnightsjane August 15, 2009 at 6:27 am #

I know I was here in Vancouver, but exactly where I was and what I was doing is a mystery to me now.
    But I do remember the event!

8. bhadrasvapna August 15, 2009 at 3:58 pm #

I went to Johns Hopkins. 1989-90 was a very interesting year there. The Applied Physics Lab monitored some of the instruments and shared a lot of the video with the students. We piled into Shriver Hall, and for over an hour, on the big screen, was video of Triton. Not pictures, actual video. Now it would be on the NASA channel, but back then it was wicked to get to see the video.
    We were also tied to the Hubble. I can remember the big sign on Shriver celebrating the launch of the telescope. Then it didn’t go up and the sign came down. This happened so often, we doubted it would ever go up.

9. neshaffer August 15, 2009 at 7:28 pm #

Sounds cool.

10. neshaffer August 15, 2009 at 7:29 pm #

It’s strange that I remember that so vividly. My mom keeps insisting I went on a trip to Pennsylvania with her and my brother eight years later, and I have little or no memory of that.