ATPo stories

15 Aug

Whenever I stop to think I’ve accomplished nothing in my life except earning a PhD I’ve done very little with, someone tells me a story–a story about how ATPo touched their lives. And I take heart in that. Here’s the latest:

I still want to swear off the internets for a while, though, ’cause I’m just sick to death of political debate and argument.

6 Responses to “ATPo stories”

1. spiletta42 August 15, 2009 at 11:58 pm #

Me too. I got blasted last night, and it was just one more reminder of how fandom isn’t fun any more. Every time I poke my nose out in the world I get hurt again.

2. neshaffer August 16, 2009 at 12:14 am #

Well, you don’t need fandom to get avalanched in non-fun debate. In fact, ATPo was one of the few places most debate could be harmless fun. We had our tense moments there, but most people were very civil, even when they disagreed.

3. midnightsjane August 16, 2009 at 8:06 pm #

I know what you mean. There are many times when I just tiptoe quietly out of someone’s latest rant, hoping not to be noticed.
    I miss the discussions we had on the Board. Even at its most ferocious, it was a place where we generally remembered that everyone has the right to their own opinion.

4. neshaffer August 16, 2009 at 9:42 pm #

There were tense times on the board, but I never really knew how vicious fandom could be until I saw how it worked sometimes on LJ.
    ATPo was a special place.

5. suzicpa August 18, 2009 at 8:50 pm #

talking about fandom and discussions
    do you watch true blood? If so what do you think?

6. neshaffer August 18, 2009 at 9:15 pm #

Re: talking about fandom and discussions
    Have utterly failed to watch it yet, since, premium channel, but have it on my Netflix queue.