Legalities

18 Jan

So what I’d like to know is what the legal definition of “an original series” is. Syfy Network in the U.S. has the audacity to call shows like Merlin and Lost Girl “original series”, and we all know Syfy didn’t commission these shows to be produced in the first place.

Not to mention they don’t air on Syfy until long after the rest of the world has seen them. Reminds me of Cordelia to Harmony back in the day: “You do what everyone else does just so you can say you did it first!”

In other news: All Things Philosophical has gone black today in protest of SOPA.

hits counter

28 Responses to “Legalities”

1. cactuswatcher January 18, 2012 at 3:30 pm #

Lying in advertising, gee, never heard of that before. ;o)
    Well, I guess each is an original series all right. Syfy just isn’t the point of origin.
    There is some multivitamin company that bothers me worse. Can’t remember (don’t really want to remember) the exact wording, but their new slogan says something like their product is where nutrition starts. It is illegal. They will be slapped down. But given how slowly the government works, they’ll get years of mileage from the nonsense before they are ordered to stop. And nobody in the government office where the slogan was no doubt trade-marked had the authority to say no in the first place.

2. cactuswatcher January 18, 2012 at 3:30 pm #

Lying in advertising, gee, never heard of that before. ;o)

3. neshaffer January 18, 2012 at 4:13 pm #

It’s souring me to Syfy because any fan worth their pixels knows Syfy is limping so ridiculously behind the world at large it’s a giant “Who are you kidding?” boggle.
    But I suppose most fans aren’t worth their pixels.
    But the exact slogan that comes up in every promo commercial is, “A SyFy original series.”
    ::boggle::

4. neshaffer January 18, 2012 at 4:13 pm #

But I suppose most fans aren’t worth their pixels.

::boggle::

5. ponygirl2000 January 18, 2012 at 6:56 pm #

Heh! If you ever really wanted to tear your hair out you should see how series like The Tudors and Camelot get to be called Canadian for tax and awards purposes.

6. ponygirl2000 January 18, 2012 at 6:56 pm #

7. neshaffer January 18, 2012 at 7:16 pm #

Why, ’cause they’re filmed there? What isn’t?
    ; D

8. neshaffer January 18, 2012 at 7:16 pm #

Why, ’cause they’re filmed there? What isn’t?

; D

9. ponygirl2000 January 18, 2012 at 7:58 pm #

Oh nothing so obvious. They were partially edited in Canada and the CBC and a production company were involved putting up some money – though they both still aired here a year after everywhere else. There’s an arcane system of points that is used to determine Canadian content. But still a Canadian original!

10. ponygirl2000 January 18, 2012 at 7:58 pm #

11. mamculuna January 18, 2012 at 8:03 pm #

Yay for ATPO!
    And furthermore, I think some people wrote about Merlin in previous literature…
    The whole business of “original” is very complicated.

12. mamculuna January 18, 2012 at 8:03 pm #

Yay for ATPO!

And furthermore, I think some people wrote about Merlin in previous literature…

The whole business of “original” is very complicated.

13. neshaffer January 18, 2012 at 9:53 pm #

No WAI! Syfy made up Merlin all by themselves! He is *their* original character and if you mention his name in some juvenile English literature paper and post it online, SyFy will have the guvment BAN YOUR ASS!
    Okay, I am having trouble doing actual work today.

14. neshaffer January 18, 2012 at 9:53 pm #

Okay, I am having trouble doing actual work today.

15. buffyannotater January 18, 2012 at 10:47 pm #

I read an article on this a while back. It’s a contractual thing. In some cases, Syfy is allowed to say it’s a Syfy Original because they contributed some money to the production of the series, like the Neverland miniseries that was otherwise a solely British show. In the case of Merlin, as far as I know, it’s a joint production with BBC and NBC, or the company that owns NBC…And NBC owns Syfy, therefore it’s a “Syfy original series”.
    What actually irritates me most of all is how they call their Being Human a “Syfy original” instead of a “poor Syfy remake of a far superior British series.”

16. buffyannotater January 18, 2012 at 10:47 pm #

17. neshaffer January 18, 2012 at 11:19 pm #

“poor Syfy remake of a far superior British series.”
    Or pointless remake? Why does everything have to be remade American? Do people from other countries and their entertainment exports have Cooties?

18. neshaffer January 18, 2012 at 11:19 pm #

“poor Syfy remake of a far superior British series.”

19. cornerofmadness January 19, 2012 at 4:40 am #

now this statement is one I’ve been asking for a while. Is it so hard to understand an English accent? Can we not at all relate to London so we have to remake Being Human…
    for that matter was there any need for Law and Order to be rewritten word for word for London? (I was SO disappointed when I learned that’s what Law & Order UK was…)

20. cornerofmadness January 19, 2012 at 4:40 am #

21. neshaffer January 19, 2012 at 11:25 am #

They didn’t even change the plots?

22. neshaffer January 19, 2012 at 11:25 am #

They didn’t even change the plots?

23. cornerofmadness January 19, 2012 at 2:50 pm #

nope. word for word in some places, literally. The only plot changes come in the form of the differences between how cops and lawyers function in the two countries and updates on the forensics since the original L&O dates back to the 90’s and the early dates of DNA typing. The first time I watched I thought ‘wow this is familiar’ by the second I realized what they were doing then found an article saying just that

24. cornerofmadness January 19, 2012 at 2:50 pm #

25. neshaffer January 19, 2012 at 3:08 pm #

Sheesh. I thought that kind of absurdity was just an Insular American thing.

26. neshaffer January 19, 2012 at 3:08 pm #

Sheesh. I thought that kind of absurdity was just an Insular American thing.

27. cornerofmadness January 19, 2012 at 4:47 pm #