Original Fiction: Dis/inhibition – character illustrations

9 Jan

Among the things I want to accomplish in 2012 is finally, FINALLY, getting my old novel, Dis/inhibition, out the door and into the world. I decided to go the self-publishing route, which is a lot of work (for me). In addition to formatting the manuscript/book itself and getting to to places that can sell it, I need to do all the promotional/marketing work as well, or at least arrange for it to be done.

One of the things I hope to do is a website. I hired an illustrator last year to do some images of my characters. The plan is to put these on the site, along with some quotes from the story, either by the character in question, or about the character in question by another character, along with information about me and about how to buy the book.

What sort of people do you imagine these are?

Main character, Valerie

Valerie’s love interest, Lisa

Valerie’s dissertation advisor/Lisa’s mother, Elizabeth

Valerie’s cousin, Rene’

Valerie’s old lab partner, Felicia

Valerie’s friend/Felicia’s girlfriend, Sarah

hits counter

15 Responses to “Original Fiction: Dis/inhibition – character illustrations”

1. cornerofmadness January 19, 2012 at 4:46 am #

Let’s see from the illustrations Valerie strikes me as tomboyish, potentially a gear head while Lisa is more introverted, sweet and bookish.
    LIsa’s mom looks cold and humorless and probably not someone I’d want as my thesis advisor
    not really getting much of a read on Rene
    Felicia strikes me as driven and other than artistic I’m not sure I have much of a read on Sarah either

2. cornerofmadness January 19, 2012 at 4:46 am #

not really getting much of a read on Rene

3. neshaffer January 19, 2012 at 11:31 am #

A “gear head”?

4. neshaffer January 19, 2012 at 11:31 am #

A “gear head”?

5. cornerofmadness January 19, 2012 at 2:47 pm #

likes cars and working on them
    eta – based entirely on the fact she’s sitting on a sports car and in my experience most people who own and actually love one, know how to care for them

6. cornerofmadness January 19, 2012 at 2:47 pm #

likes cars and working on them

7. neshaffer January 19, 2012 at 4:47 pm #

Okay, those are interesting responses. I want to use these in a promotional website, one designed to intrigue people into reading the book.

8. neshaffer January 19, 2012 at 4:47 pm #

9. cornerofmadness January 19, 2012 at 6:06 pm #

I think they would be interesting and fun to use on the site

10. cornerofmadness January 19, 2012 at 6:06 pm #

I think they would be interesting and fun to use on the site

11. neshaffer January 19, 2012 at 6:26 pm #

Good to hear. It is a semi-soapy, character-driven story, so the idea is to get potential readers interested in the characters with illustrations and sample quotes both by the characters and about the characters by other characters.

12. neshaffer January 19, 2012 at 6:26 pm #

• Vitaly January 2, 2013 at 5:14 am #

i think this book is gate! it opens your eyes on bullying. nick was not the only one a falt. the kids who buyelld him and val made him fell like that was the only way out. now i know that nick shoun’t have brought the gun and it’s sad what happen. but this book really makes me think. is it really only the shoters falt?

13. cornerofmadness January 19, 2012 at 6:41 pm #