Finding an illustrator

2 Apr

I have pretty much decided to self-publish my old novel, just to get it out in the world and out of my hair. It’s completely (professionally) edited at this point, and now I need a book cover illustrator, and am not sure where to start to look for one.

Well, actually, I take that back. I started with my gf, and she said she’d help hook me up with someone, but then never did, and at this point, I’m tired of nagging her about it. She’s sort of a flake that way.

I know LJ/DW is overflowing with artists, but I’m not sure where to go to get their attention. I have skimmed Craigslist for locals, but all that sort of makes me nervous.

I have the concept of the cover in my head, I just need someone with more talent than me to pull it off.

12 Responses to “Finding an illustrator”

1. spiletta42 April 2, 2011 at 6:52 pm #

When I need fanfic illustrations, I buy fan artists in fandom charity auctions. I’ve met a few talented people that way.

2. chickenfeet2003 April 2, 2011 at 6:54 pm #

Are you looking for an experienced professional or a talented amateur?

3. neshaffer April 2, 2011 at 7:13 pm #

Wouldn’t even know where to find a fandom charity auction.

4. neshaffer April 2, 2011 at 7:13 pm #

Either one would do, with work samples.

5. chickenfeet2003 April 2, 2011 at 7:19 pm #

Take a look at ‘s LJ. He has done illustrations for the Folio Society and did the cover for Rushdie’s latest.

6. spiletta42 April 2, 2011 at 7:19 pm #

just closed a round, but I’m sure they’ll be announcing future plans, or those of an affiliated comm, in the near future. There are also artists on Deviant Art who take commissions. I haven’t tried that route myself, though.

7. neshaffer April 2, 2011 at 7:28 pm #

Don’t fandom auctions require fan art? This is for an original novel.

8. spiletta42 April 2, 2011 at 7:31 pm #

Lots of people include the possibility of original art in their offerings. Or they offer fanart for the auction, but when you’re checking out their galleries, you come upon their usual commission rates.

9. anneth April 3, 2011 at 2:31 pm #

Artists on Deviant Art and Etsy take commissions. I had an Etsy artist design and execute our wedding invitations a few years ago and was thrilled with the results.

10. neshaffer April 3, 2011 at 3:31 pm #

I was wondering about Etsy. And Deviant Art has a website as well?
    Are there specific links I can navigate to on either site to get to those artists? There is a lot of confusing stuff on the home page.

11. ramblecrazed April 4, 2011 at 4:20 am #

Yay! I can’t wait to read it!

12. neshaffer April 5, 2011 at 2:01 am #

Hee. I’ll let you know when it’s available.