Writing is hard

24 Jul

This week, I finally got done all that “big picture” sorting of what-happens-next ideas, and it was time to start writing again. Which I did. I plunged into the POV of a new character, someone who should be interesting and engaging, but was a little on the alien side, so the potential for discontentment with what was coming out of my fingers was high (not alien enough! Too alien!)

Shortly after plunging in, I realized there was a bit of prose I had already written for another character that suited this one better, and all writing came to a halt as I tracked it down. During the tracking, I found a lot of other old blurbs of writing that I had stored away for when and if they became useful, and realized, well, gee, I need to go through these and see if any of them match up to my list of story ideas. After all, nothing gets the writing going like already having a little something to jump off of.

So I started poking through my back-up prose, sorting what was useful and what seemed too far afield. I felt this palpable sense of relief; “Yay! I can procrastinate writing some more!”

Writing is hard. It’s always hard. Editing a written draft is tedious, composing a first draft is like coaxing blood from your pores and dribbling it on the page (who was it that said something like that once?) It’s a magic moment when the words flow freely, or, alternatively, when you are ridiculously pleased with the words you’ve produced. But it has happened to me enough times I keep chasing that feeling like an addict.

9 Responses to “Writing is hard”

1. cornerofmadness July 24, 2010 at 8:04 pm #

That’s what I’m doing now with my werewolf YA. Back when I was doing prompt communities I have prompt answers all over the place. Now it’s a matter of finding anything that I can actually use (and yes just found 5 that added together with some smoothing become a chapter)

2. neshaffer July 24, 2010 at 9:08 pm #

Prompt writing! That might actually get me back to actual writing. It’s when I have a little “mini-outline” that requires I start contributing to the actual on-going story that I want to procrastinate the writing.
    Maybe vignettes might be a good way to get back into it.

3. cornerofmadness July 24, 2010 at 9:25 pm #

it was very helpful to me. findyourwords (locked now since you have to sign up before jan) has some. I could always harvest you those if you want

4. neshaffer July 24, 2010 at 9:46 pm #

If you don’t mind.
    : D

5. cornerofmadness July 25, 2010 at 12:50 am #

this week’s prompts
    Don’t deny the world your talent
    Tuna
    Nephew
    Pillow
    Three Single-Word Prompts
    Aurora
    Tempest
    Caldera
    Quote Prompt
    “Envy can be a positive motivator. Let it inspire you to work harder for what you want.”
    — Robert Bringle

6. anomster July 25, 2010 at 1:52 am #

“composing a first draft is like coaxing blood from your pores and dribbling it on the page (who was it that said something like that once?)”
    I don’t know who said it, but there’s a button: “Writing is easy. All you do is stare at a blank sheet of paper until drops of blood form on your forehead.”
    “when you are ridiculously pleased with the words you’ve produced.”
    I don’t know who said this either, but someone, asked “Do you like writing?” answered, “I like having written.”

7. neshaffer July 25, 2010 at 1:23 pm #

That’s the quote. I actually quote the source in my LJ somewhere early on. Might go in search of it.

8. neshaffer July 25, 2010 at 1:47 pm #

Ah, Gene Fowler.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Original fiction project – week of 07/26/2010 « Infinite Doorways - May 14, 2012

[…] update due to slumming in Sedona, but did work on the story in the days prior, and this week. In my last update, I mentioned wondering if my cache of old writing blurbs might contain some useful stuff that I […]