I will call this week’s writing effort more or less successful. I set a goal for TD that I didn’t quite finish, but, considering my mom had hip surgery this week and I had daughterly duties to attend to, this is not a sign the goal I originally set was too ambitious for a week.
My goal for the original fic project was to write at least 700 words of fictional prose in 7 installments of 100 words each, and I ended up writing 744 words in 4 installments of 137, 176, 138, and 293 words each (yes the last one was me scrabbling to get past 700 today).
One thing I had to do to accomplish what I did this week was whittle down my list of “outline notes”. My new plan was to write fictional prose blurbs choosing a single one-line scene idea (outline note) from a list and a single one-word prompt from a different list. I had about 206 outline-note sentences. But my new plan wasn’t working well because there were a lot of scenes “I just wasn’t ready to write yet.” It felt all over again like I was having writer’s block or just wasn’t interested enough to write the story.
Then I realized that the scenes I was having trouble writing were scenes I imagined coming much later in the story. Which means, yeah, I already have a vague plot for this story in my head, and I can’t write certain scenes until other ones are written first, ’cause they depend on the earlier stuff for essential details. So I cut down my working list of outline notes to just a subset I imagine will take place near the beginning of the story.
Once I had the list of earlier scene ideas to choose from, the writing was much easier, and I think my policy of “it’s all experimental, none of this will end up in the story if I don’t want it to” is working for me as well, for the time being.
I will work from the same goals this coming week.