Un-Nano, day 1

30 Nov

Words at start: 19,395
Words slain: 909
Total words: 18,486
Goal: 5000
Percentage: 18.2%

Ah, this is better. I like my stories trim and pretty, not lame and bloated. No puppies from this batch to share, I cut those words out one at a time. 4,101 to go.

Oh, and then there’s this:

15 Responses to “Un-Nano, day 1”

1. ex_chaos_by_699 December 1, 2006 at 6:47 am #

I’m kind of impressed that you can write so much. My problem is that I’m too concise for my own good. I seem to naturally express myself in bullet points. Which is probably why I’m a web programmer and not a writer. 😉

2. neshaffer December 1, 2006 at 3:21 pm #

I’m a database programmer–Java, sql, perl.
    I overwrite because I can’t seem to figure out what’s relevant to a story until I finish an entire draft or two. So I just keep writing until I figure out what a story/episode is about, then remove the parts that it turns out don’t fit.

3. ex_chaos_by_699 December 1, 2006 at 3:41 pm #

Oh, cool.
    My biggest problem with writing I think is that I either run out of stuff to say too quickly or I write a bunch of stuff, but then forget a bunch of stuff that I wanted to say that I remember later. This especially happens with blog entries.

4. neshaffer December 1, 2006 at 3:49 pm #

That’s why I take so long to write things. So I can remember what I’ve forgotten. And to give my slow brain time to come up with solutions to plotting problems.

5. ex_chaos_by_699 December 1, 2006 at 4:11 pm #

That makes sense. I guess I’m too prone to being impatient and getting discouraged.

6. cornerofmadness December 1, 2006 at 4:37 pm #

yay you. Now cut away

7. neshaffer December 1, 2006 at 5:44 pm #

*snip, snip*
    You were right about the dumb computerized word counter. I could have cut and pasted the Gettysburgh Address into that thing a couple dozen times and won NaNo.

8. neshaffer December 1, 2006 at 5:45 pm #

Whereas I’m completely a writing addict and therefore have no life.
    ; )

9. ex_chaos_by_699 December 1, 2006 at 5:49 pm #

As long as it results in me having good Connor fanfic to read, I’m cool with that. 😉

10. cornerofmadness December 1, 2006 at 5:51 pm #

i know. It’s just about how honorable you are

11. neshaffer December 1, 2006 at 6:19 pm #

*bows and has honor*

12. neshaffer December 1, 2006 at 6:23 pm #

Sadly, my Connor fic is more exciting than my life most of the time!

13. ex_chaos_by_699 December 1, 2006 at 6:41 pm #

I wouldn’t mind my life being more exciting, though I think having to slay demons on a regular basis would be a little too much excitement for me. Now maybe if I only had to slay the occasional demon…

14. neshaffer December 1, 2006 at 7:03 pm #

Yes, slaying demons is fun on paper. Or, er, a computer screen.

15. ex_chaos_by_699 December 1, 2006 at 7:08 pm #

Yeah, I always figured that if I were a member of AI or the Scoobies, I’d be strictly a research gal who provided much-needed sarcasm. 🙂