Taxed

11 Sep

Just got back from Opera in the Park, which was fun. Along with the usual Mozart, Verdi, and et al samplings, the San Francisco Opera were pushing a contemporary opera they’ll be showing this year called Doctor Atomic, which is about Robert Oppenheimer. I, of course, am about three degrees of separation from the ev0l atomic bomb myself. Edward O. Teller is a character in the opera, and how weird is that? I studied under his son Paul. He was my dissertation advisor in grad school.

In sucky news, I got home to find a thick envelope from the I.R. Fucking S. They are auditing me for my 2003 tax return. They claim I owe them over $8,000. There is no way in hell I could owe them that. I don’t even make six times that a year as it is. Gross. I called my friend Gloria to talk to her CPA since I can’t make heads or tails of this. It’s insane.

Way to ruin my weekend, and after I was feeling slightly patriotic this afternoon and all that, too. pffft.

19 Responses to “Taxed”

1. cactuswatcher September 12, 2005 at 12:21 am #

Re IRS: That does stink!

I hope the CPA can get it sorted out quickly!

2. ann1962 September 12, 2005 at 12:27 am #

Wow Masq, sorry. I am sure that the cpa will be able to sort that out. You have had a helluva week. {{hugs}}

And I love the icon! That is great!

3. angeyja September 12, 2005 at 12:27 am #

Blech. Sorry.

4. neshaffer September 12, 2005 at 12:47 am #

Me, too.

5. neshaffer September 12, 2005 at 12:47 am #

I don’t like *this* kind of trouble!

6. neshaffer September 12, 2005 at 12:48 am #

Thanks for your email, hon.

7. angeyja September 12, 2005 at 12:56 am #

ah. The hard part is not being able to make things better for people, that silly magic wand must be on the fritz again.

(more seriously *hugs* some weeks seem to just be awful stuff magnets. I do hope things get sorted quickly and much better for you.)

8. neshaffer September 12, 2005 at 1:10 am #

This IRS thing came out of *nowhere*. I had not an inkling about this at all.

Thanks.

9. deevalish September 12, 2005 at 1:33 am #

Not to be all Pollyanna lalalala or anything but at least you had a good time in the Park? The weather seemed not too bad, meaning it wasn’t freezing. I’m sure the CPA can figure it out.

10. neshaffer September 12, 2005 at 1:57 am #

It wasn’t as sunny as last year, but this was actually a good thing, as last year I got a sunburn. Of course, this year I remembered the sun screen, and then we got clouds.

But no helicopters, so, hey, bonus!

11. deevalish September 12, 2005 at 2:03 am #

You can still burn with cloud cover. I heard that it was a good turn out.

12. neshaffer September 12, 2005 at 2:04 am #

As good a turn out as last year.

Yeah, I went to the beach every summer with my family all through my childhood and got *many* burns on cloudy days, so I know from cloud-burns.

13. anomster September 12, 2005 at 3:32 am #

Oh, hell. I’m sorry to hear this–just what you don’t need. I hope it gets cleared up w/minimal hassle & expense.

14. neshaffer September 12, 2005 at 3:41 am #

Thanks.

15. arethusa2 September 12, 2005 at 4:11 pm #

I’m sorry about your aunt. This mess doesn’t help, I’m sure. When I’ve had to work with the IRS they were helpful and reasonable. I hope everything works out okay.

16. angeyja September 12, 2005 at 10:41 pm #

It’s surprising. Not to be randomly selected but the size of this bill. Did you find out anything today?

17. neshaffer September 12, 2005 at 11:24 pm #

I haven’t gotten hold of the CPA yet, but just looking over it myself, they think a Bond Index Fund that I contributed to myself and paid taxes on is something else–additional income, which it’s not.

It should be something I can clear up once I talk to the CPA.

18. angeyja September 12, 2005 at 11:30 pm #

Ah good. I hoped it was something like that.

19. suzicpa September 13, 2005 at 12:44 am #

I.R. Fucking S. 🙂

That moniker is just about right. 🙂 I know this is easier said than done, but dont worry about it. The IRS does that stuff (misclassify things) all the time. Keeps us CPAs busy, writing the letters to fix those mistakes.

Most of the time, that is all that it takes a letter.

Know what? I have been audited myself too.

Back in 1998, the IRS thought that my contributions to my 401k plan were contributions to a separate IRA plan….they wanted to penalize me for over contributing to an IRA by about $6,000.

I wrote a letter, and never heard from them again.

Oh, BTW: Remember to keep your letter and documentary backup for seven years…

Hope all is well…:)