Oh, BTW, your boyfriend is the boogeyman

3 Mar

The thing about Grimm is, even though it is a bit banal and repetitive (although getting less so as it develops its mythology), it hits a lot of my story kinks, like secret identities, hidden subcultures, and family legacies. I’m liking it more and more as the season progresses.

18 Responses to “Oh, BTW, your boyfriend is the boogeyman”

1. buffyannotater March 3, 2012 at 5:29 pm #

Yeah, there are things I absolutely love about Grimm, particularly Nick and Monroe’s friendship. But it’s also repetitive, glacially arced, underdeveloped in some key areas, too often lazily plotted, cliche, and/or overly obvious. I feel like it has a lot of potential and could be so much more than it is. I also feel like this in large part might be due to network interference, wanting to keep the episodic, procedural aspect in the forefront when this type of show begs for more complex serialization. I haven’t missed an episode yet, though, because there’s something about it I find really compelling.

2. buffyannotater March 3, 2012 at 5:29 pm #

3. cornerofmadness March 3, 2012 at 8:31 pm #

yeah it’s not great tv but I, too am liking it more as it goes

4. cornerofmadness March 3, 2012 at 8:31 pm #

yeah it’s not great tv but I, too am liking it more as it goes

5. neshaffer March 3, 2012 at 8:44 pm #

I know, it’s like, ugh, this is kinda plodding, but I can’t stop watching. Like I’m waiting for it to really hit its stride. Hoping, anyway.

6. neshaffer March 3, 2012 at 8:44 pm #

7. neshaffer March 3, 2012 at 8:45 pm #

I hope it doesn’t end up a ratings victim before it finds itself. *sigh*

8. neshaffer March 3, 2012 at 8:45 pm #

I hope it doesn’t end up a ratings victim before it finds itself. *sigh*

9. cornerofmadness March 3, 2012 at 8:58 pm #

true. well it’s made it this far. that’s vaguely hopeful in a time where you’re lucky to get 6 weeks

10. cornerofmadness March 3, 2012 at 8:58 pm #

11. neshaffer March 3, 2012 at 9:05 pm #

Guess we’ll know later on this year if it got renewed or not.

12. neshaffer March 3, 2012 at 9:05 pm #

Guess we’ll know later on this year if it got renewed or not.

13. buffyannotater March 3, 2012 at 9:31 pm #

Grimm is very lucky it’s on NBC. On any other network, it would probably be canceled. But apparently, it’s doing quite well for NBC, so Entertainment Weekly and a few other sites have labeled it as being “a safe bet” for renewal, in the bubble scorecards.

14. buffyannotater March 3, 2012 at 9:31 pm #

15. neshaffer March 3, 2012 at 9:49 pm #

Well, that’s hopeful, anyway.

16. neshaffer March 3, 2012 at 9:49 pm #

Well, that’s hopeful, anyway.

17. cornerofmadness March 3, 2012 at 10:45 pm #