Original fiction project – week of 08/21/2011

27 Aug

Dis/inhibition: Still working through the final read-through. The artist has finished the first of six character portraits for the webpage. Now that we’ve worked out what information she needs to complete each of these, hopefully, the rest will go quicker. The plan after that is to design a small promotional website, and a Facebook page for the novel.

New story: Finishing up chapter five. It has been a bear. I introduced two new characters and wrote from both their points of view, then realized one of them just knew too damned much to let the reader into his head this soon. Cutting his bits didn’t take anything from the chapter, and kept it from being one and a half times longer than the other chapters so far.

As it is, the remaining character’s POV reveals quite a bit as well, information that maybe it’s too soon to reveal, but that’s just one of the tightropes you walk in a first draft–figuring out the pace at which you should offer up clues to an unfolding mystery.

12 Responses to “Original fiction project – week of 08/21/2011”

1. cornerofmadness August 27, 2011 at 9:11 pm #

sounds good. i’ll be looking forward to the website

2. neshaffer August 27, 2011 at 10:00 pm #

I’m going to have the art done by that artist and do the text myself, but the website itself I’m having professionally done. I got too many criticisms of the design and layout of my Buffy website to attempt this new one myself!

3. cornerofmadness August 28, 2011 at 12:55 am #

yes i’m worried about trying to make my own website

4. neshaffer August 28, 2011 at 2:04 pm #

Lulu apparently has website makers you can hire, but I wouldn’t do so until I had the whole design worked out myself.

5. cornerofmadness August 28, 2011 at 5:58 pm #

yeah I don’t blame you there. wonders if I can hire my young cousin when the time comes. he should have his degree in this stuff soon

6. neshaffer August 28, 2011 at 6:24 pm #

I actually know a few web programmers myself. But I don’t think dealing with friends is the best way to go in situations like this.

7. cornerofmadness August 28, 2011 at 6:40 pm #

oh I agree. Did that once and it did not end well.
    I’ve been told word press has a very basic system that is easy to learn. mostly in the end I want something I can manipulate myself without a lot of expensive software

8. neshaffer August 28, 2011 at 6:56 pm #

Exactly. Don’t want to have to run back to the programmer at whatever-$$-a-pop every time changes need to be done.

9. cornerofmadness August 28, 2011 at 9:17 pm #

and then get put into a queue and it never get done. I’d rather get dinged for having an overly simplistic website I control myself than a beautifully done one where I am not a priority to the web master

10. neshaffer August 28, 2011 at 9:33 pm #

Sounds like you’ve been there before.

11. cornerofmadness August 28, 2011 at 9:53 pm #

yes, once personally and all the freaking time at work. THey’ve deleted our inhouse webmaster and getting ANYTHING done is impossible

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Original fiction project – week of 08/28/2011 « Infinite Doorways - May 31, 2012

[…] I mentioned last week, I threw out about 2,000 words written in the point of view of one of them, because he knows too […]