Original fiction project – week of 08/07/2011

13 Aug

Dis/inhibition: I have finished going through all the editor’s comments/edits, and tentatively chosen Lulu as my publishing platform. Now comes the job of formatting the manuscript and going through it one more time to check for stray issues. The covers are done, and this is the one I am probably going to go with. Next up, I want to design a small promotional website for it, and I’ll need more illustrations for that.

New story: Finished up chapter 4 and sent it to the Sculptor. I already started poking at and organizing chapter 5, so now that is the new focus.

13 Responses to “Original fiction project – week of 08/07/2011”

1. cactuswatcher August 13, 2011 at 6:32 pm #

Oh God! That cover looks uncomfortably like one of my old dorm rooms. ;o)

2. neshaffer August 13, 2011 at 6:35 pm #

It’s supposed to. It’s a graduate student office.

3. ann1962 August 13, 2011 at 7:06 pm #

That cover has a very casual fun feel to it. I like the colouring too!

4. cactuswatcher August 13, 2011 at 7:11 pm #

Yes, I knew it was an office. My graduate office was a lot more crowded but a couple generations newer.

5. neshaffer August 13, 2011 at 7:18 pm #

That’s the starting image. I may attenuate it a bit so that it isn’t the entirety of the cover (and I have room for title/author info!) and the image is softened a bit. But I don’t want to lose the “attitude” in the legs.

6. neshaffer August 13, 2011 at 7:18 pm #

Hee! That makes me scared, since this is supposed to be a contemporary story.

7. ann1962 August 13, 2011 at 8:37 pm #

Graduate student office decor depends upon the $$s at the school you are attending. I wouldn’t worry too much. Plus the coffee cup gives it a modern feel.

8. neshaffer August 13, 2011 at 8:45 pm #

This is typical of the budgets of places I went, LOL.

9. cornerofmadness August 14, 2011 at 4:33 am #

that’s an interesting cover. good luck

10. neshaffer August 14, 2011 at 3:56 pm #

Thanks.

11. anomster August 15, 2011 at 2:46 am #

If the artist could add a little height to the walls, they might make a good background for title/author (maybe w/”Dis” along 1 wall & “Inhibition” along the other, w/the angle of the corner btwn. them serving as the slash, or even putting the words at an angle so the vertical line of the corner is slanted relative to them?).
    I’m curious about the poster over the desk against the left wall. It looks like something astronomical to me, but maybe that’s just because of my interest in that subject.

12. neshaffer August 15, 2011 at 3:56 am #

It’s an MRI film image (of the human brain).

13. anomster August 15, 2011 at 4:38 am #

Oh! Yeah, that makes sense. Esp. w/the book on the other desk, which after enlarging looks like it’s titled Neuropsychology.