Original fiction project – week of 07/17/2011

23 Jul

Dis/inhibition: I finished with my editor’s cosmetic changes and am now procrastinating taking on her more substantive comments. I thought I could handle a little constructive criticism, I weathered it fine in the past, but maybe I just had a trust-thing with my writing coach, where I felt it was okay to dismiss what she said if I didn’t agree with it. Now I find myself questioning my own writing, which is just paralyzing on the final draft when it should only be polishing.

New story: Still working on chapter 3, technically. I finished a full draft of it and decided to step back and think a bit about upcoming chapters, just in case there was something in them I needed to establish in chapter 3. In doing so, I discovered a plot hole I have been wrestling with. It’s not fatal, it’s just a matter of my imagination coming up with a good hole-filler. It’s a hole of missing motivation for a state of affairs that is central to the story and one of my character’s entire life circumstances. Nothing worse in a story than lame motivation for one’s Plot Device Darling.

6 Responses to “Original fiction project – week of 07/17/2011”

1. cornerofmadness July 23, 2011 at 9:20 pm #

good luck with it all. I find taking substantive comments, even when I agree with them, to be a bit painful

2. neshaffer July 23, 2011 at 9:25 pm #

It’s never fun, but when you’re not sure they’re not wrong, and you don’t know how to fix it without a major root canal and your only goal is polishing the final draft. Ahhhh!

3. cornerofmadness July 23, 2011 at 9:34 pm #

i’ve been there for a couple years stalled on Machiavelli Moon, I know what you mean

4. neshaffer July 23, 2011 at 9:51 pm #

This story is going on 20 years old. I’ve got to finish it and get it out of my hair.

5. cornerofmadness July 23, 2011 at 11:03 pm #

i hear you. Mmoon was written in 95-96 so…

6. neshaffer July 23, 2011 at 11:26 pm #

I started this one in ’93….