POD and self publishing

17 Jul

Still working on pulling together my ideas on forthcoming plot events and wrapping my brain cells around who my characters are. However, I did spend a couple almost entire days on the new story this week, which put me ahead of the game on this part of process.

Last weekend, I went to one of those traveling lecturer seminars at Changing Hands bookstore. This one was a guy with a background in the publishing industry who was talking about alternatives to traditional publishing, specifically, self-publishing, which, as it turns out, is different than print-on-demand publishers. He was actually pretty down on POD, saying that bookstores in general see POD labels on books as a warning of sign of the book’s lack of quality and are therefore hesitant to stock them.

Changing Hands is one of those indies that’s willing to give self-published and POD books from local authors a go for a limited time, but of course, that all depends on your marketing strategy, getting people to seek out such a book, either before they get to the bookstore or while they’re standing there staring at a bunch of book spines on the shelf. If it sells, CH won’t yank it off their shelves in a month.

The lecturer also talked about self-publishing as a step to attracting the attention of agents and publishers (again, this only really works with good self-marketing strategies upfront). One of things he mentioned, though, was that publishers usually don’t want to deal with writers who don’t have a lot of future book ideas under their belt. They like to have writers under contract, producing. So I think I am on the right track with planning out my new story as a number of separate novels. I have yet to figure out exactly how, since at this point I am still getting to know my “story world”, but I know I am in the right ballpark with my plans.

12 Responses to “POD and self publishing”

1. cornerofmadness July 17, 2010 at 3:53 pm #

Guess I’m good to go then.
    Oddly enough I’ve heard the exact same criticism about self-publishing as I’ve heard about P.O.D. I’ve had a few friends try the latter…yeah other than your friends buying it…not so good

2. londonkds July 17, 2010 at 7:47 pm #

What I have heard is that self-publishing and POD work if you are doing non-academic non-fiction that is too niche for a commercial publisher and you are a recognised expert in the field. Fiction, from what I gather, is still not much hope.

3. cornerofmadness July 17, 2010 at 7:53 pm #

yes that’s pretty much what I’ve heard. It works better for non-fiction. The only POD I’ve done was the nothing but red anthology and that had the built in market because it was for charity

4. neshaffer July 17, 2010 at 8:48 pm #

Well, I’m still considering self-publishing for my fiction, since it’s too lengthy for a first-time novel.

5. graffitiandsara July 17, 2010 at 8:53 pm #

The Commonwealth Club has 3 programs talking about self-publishing that were really interesting. They made it sound really positive. If you go to iTunes you can find all 3 episodes.

6. neshaffer July 17, 2010 at 8:58 pm #

More and more people are turning to it as an alternative to traditional publishing. I don’t think it has quite the reputation it used to.

7. cornerofmadness July 17, 2010 at 9:24 pm #

i have some friends who’ve tried it. When you’re ready i’m sure they’d be glad to tell you their experiences if you want

8. neshaffer July 17, 2010 at 9:27 pm #

Yeah, I’d be interested to hear.

9. cornerofmadness July 17, 2010 at 9:34 pm #

I’ll see if he minds if you email him

10. bhadrasvapna July 18, 2010 at 12:40 am #

Before you deal with any self-publisher, be sure to check them out on Preditors and Editors. Stay away from anything remotely associated with Authors House. (Interesting side-note, that whole who do you write like that is going aroung is marketing by a rather unethical self-publisher, Thomas Nelson.)
    With the explosion of ebooks, self-publishing is becoming a more viable option.
    But it still has the same reputation for one simple reason, there is no quality control. It’s still hit or miss. Also, I highly recommend paying an editor to look over your MS if you do self-publish.

11. zargon10 July 18, 2010 at 1:20 pm #

See, I knew if you had 1000 stories running around in your head, it had to be good for something! LOL

12. neshaffer July 18, 2010 at 1:41 pm #

“Story time” at the Barnes and Noble kid’s department, maybe?