Two birds, one stone…..

7 May

I figured out how to solve two pesky little problems I was having by solving them at the same time: (1) finding time to read, and (2) motivating myself to exercise. Now normally, my idea of exercise is a brisk walk that actually gets me somewhere I want to go; but there’s not a lot within walking distance of my new house, and, fairly shortly, I would have to do my walking within an hour of dawn to make it at all pleasant. So since I have an allergy to gyms, I have my mom’s old exercise bike. Which is extremely boring. And there is no cable hook-up in my guest bedroom. But then I thought–that’d be the perfect time to read. Peddle away, catch thirty minutes of those novels burning a hole in my living room floor….

I’ve actually made my way through the next-to-last (next-to-next-to-last?) Dresden Files now. And am fighting those Girl Scout cookies with vigor. Yay, me.

16 Responses to “Two birds, one stone…..”

1. cornerofmadness May 7, 2008 at 2:20 pm #

i’ve done the read while biking myself. It’s about the only way to make those bikes tolerable. Am thinking about splurging on a boxflex since we actually have no gyms

2. hjcallipygian May 7, 2008 at 2:35 pm #

Dresden Files is pretty awesome. What do you think of the series so far? You tend to look at things in a very different way than I do, so I’m legitimately interested.

3. neshaffer May 7, 2008 at 3:33 pm #

Oh, I’ve been reading that book series for several years now. I think it’s great. I tend to gravitate towards fantasy series that take place in the “real world” but in which the supernatural is carefully hidden–stuff like BtVS, Harry Potter, etc. Dresden Files fills the bill and has interesting characters.

And something else I like in my fandoms–strong, complex women characters.

4. neshaffer May 7, 2008 at 3:34 pm #

This exercise bike is a million years old, and if it was once adjustable isn’t anymore, and it’s adjusted for my mother, who is taller than me. But what the heck, it was free, and if I feed it enough batteries, it does what it’s supposed to.

Most of the time.

5. ladystarlightsj May 7, 2008 at 4:26 pm #

Good for you!

6. neshaffer May 7, 2008 at 4:33 pm #

Except now, I have no excuse. I’ve been avoiding that contraption lately with stuff like, “I have to paint my whole kitchen ceiling tonight. That’s exercise!”

7. cornerofmadness May 7, 2008 at 4:45 pm #

I’m going for a walk around the lake (leaving my laundry in the car like a big come steal me. It’s GORGEOUS and I want exercise and spring flower pics

8. neshaffer May 7, 2008 at 4:47 pm #

Everyone else is having Spring (well, not down under). We had Spring back in March. Now summer is here. It will last a month, then the season generally known as “So you’ve always wanted to visit a hell dimension” will settle in.

9. cornerofmadness May 7, 2008 at 9:14 pm #

that season is why I don’t even look for jobs in AZ. I was a tad late for spring flowers but I got some nice dogwood…and a turned ankle

10. neshaffer May 7, 2008 at 9:29 pm #

::ouch::

Sorry to hear that.

11. cornerofmadness May 7, 2008 at 10:01 pm #

its not too bad. I’ll try to get the pictures up tomorrow. I got bit by mosquitos…and now after a semseter of parasitology I’m all paranoid

12. neshaffer May 7, 2008 at 10:10 pm #

I hear Roy chortling in the corner at your misfortune.

13. maeve_rigan May 7, 2008 at 11:27 pm #

The only room in my house big enough for an exercise device is the living room, so that’s where the treadmill is. Which limits my entertaining to very understanding people, but what the heck. I’m finally getting some exercise while watching DVDs. Haven’t tried reading & walking yet, but that would probably work.

14. cornerofmadness May 8, 2008 at 1:32 am #

no doubt

15. midnightsjane May 8, 2008 at 5:24 am #

My totalgym is making a fine clothes stand in my closet these days. I bought it when I was feeling particularly unfit, and then the enthusiasm wore off.
    Luckily for me, working out at the farm is even better than going to a gym, and it’s free! I’m feeling quite trim and fit these days.
    Reading while riding the exercise bike is a great idea! A twofer!

16. neshaffer May 8, 2008 at 11:52 am #

I’ve always been a bit envious of your farm work, which I’m sure is strenuous and exhausting. But exercise that = “stuff that needs to get done anyway or serves another purpose” is my favorite kind of exercise. I always feel some sense of existential absurdity doing exercise on gym machines. “Where am I peddling to?”