Dresden Files TV show question

1 Feb

It’s really hard to follow the show when I’m watching it on my computer, plus, since that annoys me in general, I’ve only watched both eps once. But, in the books, Murphy knows Harry is a real wizard. Does the TV show version of her not know that? Is that what the significance of the final scene of ep 2 was?

21 Responses to “Dresden Files TV show question”

1. lafemmedarla February 2, 2007 at 12:15 pm #

Ep 2! I knew I was supposed to watch something yesterday.
    I’m confused with just the first ep, but mostly due to: a) the first ep aired not being the first ep on the timeline and b) no book background. And maybe the fact I just got the eps because of Terrence Mann.

2. neshaffer February 2, 2007 at 1:04 pm #

Um…who’s Terrence Mann?

3. darbyunlimited February 2, 2007 at 1:30 pm #

They’re holding that in the “vague but possible” zone, it seems. She doesn’t ask the questions that she should if she didn’t know, but they haven’t addressed it directly.
    My theory is that they are trying to show her as knowing, but extremely uncomfortable with the idea, so they don’t really talk about how he does things, or why certain things have happened. Is the book version nothing like that?

4. neshaffer February 2, 2007 at 1:33 pm #

It’s been a long time since I read the first book, but it seems to me Murphy not only knew from the beginning of the book series, she also worked in a special branch of the police department that unofficially investigated supernatural crimes and so had Harry on retainer as a consultant.

5. dame_grise February 2, 2007 at 1:47 pm #

He’s playing the ghost in the Dresden Files (y’know the white-haired fellow with the snooty accent), but he’s a big Broadway star. Original cast in a lot of great shows like Cats, Les Miserables and Scarlet Pimpernel.

6. lafemmedarla February 2, 2007 at 1:54 pm #

The original Broadway Beast. I’ve heard mixed reviews of his live performances, but he’s fantastic on the cast recording.

7. neshaffer February 2, 2007 at 1:56 pm #

Bob.
    Oh yes, the TV show’s version of Bob.
    Thanks!

8. neshaffer February 2, 2007 at 1:56 pm #

Ah. OK. Thanks.

9. dame_grise February 2, 2007 at 1:58 pm #

Hey, I only saw the first episode so far. Is SciFi putting them all on the internet?

10. ladystarlightsj February 2, 2007 at 2:19 pm #

You’re right on that bit, Masq — although she did bring Harry in to consult on the first corpse of Ep 2 and they do seem to have a working relationship, so maybe Darby’s got it after all?

11. neshaffer February 2, 2007 at 2:26 pm #

The only solution is to re-watch a few times. Which I don’t want to do on my computer, because then I can’t use my computer for like, an hour, and I lapse into catatonic schitzophrenia.

12. cornerofmadness February 2, 2007 at 2:40 pm #

hmm you know I’ve only seen them once myself and I’ll be damned if i can remember if Murphy on the TV version knows he’s a wizard. I’ll assume she knows SOMETHING since he is still her consultant

13. cornerofmadness February 2, 2007 at 2:42 pm #

Sci-Fi reruns them ad nauseum. if you get that channel, you can see it on the tv

14. neshaffer February 2, 2007 at 2:43 pm #

It’s just that last speech in the final scene of ep 2 that confused me.

15. cornerofmadness February 2, 2007 at 2:45 pm #

Ah, well then that would be a problem. if i get bored during test making I’ll see if i cna watch it for you but in ep 2 it didn’t seem like she knew oh so much but knew enough to know he was lying about doing something to her

16. cornerofmadness February 2, 2007 at 2:45 pm #

yeah i know

17. neshaffer February 2, 2007 at 3:19 pm #

That’s the impression I got, too.

18. shadowkat67 February 2, 2007 at 3:38 pm #

Can answer some of this.
    The Murphy in the books is different than the one in the series. In the books, Murphy’s dad is dead and was amongst the first cops to deal with the paranormal – he got killed because of the paranormal. Murphy also does not have any children. But is divorced. Her ex has custody.
    In the series – Murphy’s Dad took off with a lover to Florida, and Murphy has one kid.
    I think in both this episode and the books, she knows he’s a wizard but doesn’t know the extent of what he can do. In the books, she saw him as
    a bit of a specialist on paranormal and in Storm Front, thought like everyone else he might be the bad guy.
    In the series – I know from the podcasts on http://www.jimbutchernews.com- they are going to do an adaptation of Storm Front – but I think it comes about six episodes in. Which means they are covering the period of time in the Murphy/Dresden relationship leading up to Storm Front. So that may explain why she doesn’t seem to know as much about him as she does in the book version.
    From what I’ve seen so far and what I’ve read and heard online both from Jim Butcher and the creators, the television series is not going to closely follow the books. And is in some respects a looser interpretation. Butcher did however have input and the main things have been kept the same. Murphy/Dresden relationship. Bob/Dresden relationship. Dresden’s background with his parents. And who Dresden is, and Dresden’s relationship with the High Council (in the books White Council). What’s been changed is his staff (now a hockey stick), some of Murphy’s background, and who Justin was.
    I’ve been watching the episodes with the veiw that they probably won’t follow the story in the books, but as long as I like Harry and he fits how I viewed him in the books? I’m fine with it. So far, so good. 😉

19. neshaffer February 2, 2007 at 3:47 pm #

I’ve read all the books, I’m familiar with them. Which is why I have questions about where the TV show seems to be different.

20. ladystarlightsj February 3, 2007 at 4:15 pm #

heee. Email coming your way, btw.

21. ladystarlightsj February 3, 2007 at 4:19 pm #

heee. I know what you mean.
    (email coming your way)