Atheism, skepticism, and agnosticism

29 Mar

Cleanthes’ words of wisdom over at the ATPo board:

If you don’t think there’s such a thing as a fundamentalist Atheist, and you claim to be atheist, then you are a fundamentalist atheist.

If you worship Skepticism without the slightest bit of skepticism over skepticism, then Ockham will haunt you.

As to the rest of his dialogue with Fresne, alas, I am too left-brained to follow all its intricacies.

A curse on my over-sized left brain!

I’m so glad we have these folks gracing our board.

13 Responses to “Atheism, skepticism, and agnosticism”

1. ponygirl2000 March 29, 2004 at 12:44 pm #

It is pretty neat, even if seems like the atheists or raging anti-agnostites are having all the fun!

2. neshaffer March 29, 2004 at 12:57 pm #

Agnosticism is an uncertain line to walk….
    But some of us can’t help ourselves.

3. neshaffer March 29, 2004 at 12:59 pm #

Can I just say….
    Cool icon!!??
    Stay gold, Ponygirl. Stay gold.

4. ponygirl2000 March 29, 2004 at 1:05 pm #

It is hard to take a firm stand on vagueness. But I will dammit! Maybe!

5. neshaffer March 29, 2004 at 1:13 pm #

It’s not vagueness I take a firm stand on. It’s admitting I don’t have all the answers. And that’s easy!

6. ponygirl2000 March 29, 2004 at 1:27 pm #

It seems the most sensible thing to me too, but some take that as a cop-out position. I suppose though that agnosticism doesn’t make for long debates – everyone admits they could be right and they could be wrong and then we all go out for pizza.

7. neshaffer March 29, 2004 at 1:38 pm #

It’s not like I don’t believe in anything. I believe in believing in those things that can be proved, and withholding judgment on those things I can’t. It’s not an easy way to live, but it’s as principled as anything else.
    Who says this position isn’t fun!?

8. cwx March 29, 2004 at 5:48 pm #

I assumed fundamental aetheists to be the paranoid nightmares of fundamentalist Christians, whom I generally loathe far more than any agnostics or aetheists, until a couple of my friends more or less revealed themselves to me as such quite recently. Except they damn well know that’s what they are, so I’m not sure if it quite fits.

9. randomways March 29, 2004 at 10:51 pm #

Hey!
    This particular agnostic was having plenty of fun. Course, I was winning the debates, which always makes for fun 😉

10. neshaffer March 30, 2004 at 6:35 am #

Re: Hey!
    Just keep giving the theists and atheists a persistant, Spock-like rationality that won’t be ruffled, persuaded and won’t back down. Drives’m crazy!

11. randomways March 30, 2004 at 8:51 pm #

Re: Hey!
    Driving people crazy is always a good time. I shall go sharpen the tips of my ears forthwith, and become a Vulcanologist. Beware.

12. neshaffer March 30, 2004 at 9:06 pm #

Re: Hey!
    Watch out for Faith. You know about her nefarious past with Volcano-ologists.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Agnosticism, belief, and the fantasy genre « Infinite Doorways - May 16, 2012

[…] commented that some people see agnosticism as a “cop-out” position. Such people are obviously not […]