Ways in which I’m breaking the NaNo rules

17 Oct

(1) Fan fic instead of original fic. I wish it were otherwise, but I honestly got nothin’ at the moment. No plot? Big problem!

(2) I’m only working on three (possibly four) chapters of my “novel” instead of trying to belt out an entire rough draft.

(3) The “novel” in question? Already started. Two years ago.

(4) It’s in screenplay format.

(5) I already have bits and pieces of the new material written. In the official NaNo rules, it says you have to start on Nov 1. You can prepare before hand by, for example, making up an outline, but the actual text can’t be written until Nov 1. Um…hello? I don’t know how anyone else works, but my brain writes when it writes. Any time I am working on an outline, snippets of text enter my brain unbidden. Of course I’m going to write them down!

(6) I may or may not strive for 50,000 words. Do you *know* how many episodes of TD that is? 3.35293952. Approximately. I’m going to write three episode first drafts, and since I overwrite everything, those should come in together well over 50,000.

Can you tell I’d like to do NaNo by the rules and just can’t?

8 Responses to “Ways in which I’m breaking the NaNo rules”

1. ann1962 October 17, 2006 at 6:11 pm #

You revolutionary you!!
    For real though, do it your own way. That will be the way you will succeed.
    ::cheers you on!!::

2. scrollgirl October 17, 2006 at 6:12 pm #

Actually, writing fanfic is not against the rules. Script format is fine too. They have a pretty loose definition of “novel” but I’m happy to take advantage of that fact 🙂
    Of course, it *is* against the rules to start before Nov 1 but I don’t think anybody’s gonna tattle on you!

3. neshaffer October 17, 2006 at 6:21 pm #

Actually, script format *is* against the rules. I checked. They have now started an alternate “screenplay writing month” for screenplay writers.

4. neshaffer October 17, 2006 at 6:24 pm #

“My own way” would be to write an original fic novel rough draft. Writing three episodes of fan fic instead is just my way of grumbling in 50,000 words.

5. natgel October 17, 2006 at 6:47 pm #

It’s time for NaNo again? No wonder my Flist is so crazy again. *shakes head*
    3 out of 6 books I’m currently reading have no plot to speak of, and if makes you feel any better, one of them is on the best sellers’ list! *grumbles*

6. neshaffer October 17, 2006 at 7:16 pm #

Yeah, but in addition to no plot, I also have no characters, no setting….

7. natgel October 17, 2006 at 7:26 pm #